Tuesday, May 15, 2018

A new experience: Press-On Nails




I posted the following on Patreon on my podcast website and thought I'd tell the story here for those who follow this blog.

Today I’m writing a bit about some practical or frivolous knowledge. Which one of these descriptions best fits may depend on your views about personal adornment. 
I experimented with nail art. 

I grew up a poor kid; you’d now say “economically disadvantaged,” and was a pretty serious young woman so never was much into cosmetics. I now have the time and enough money to indulge. 

While I do get manicures and pedicures, I’ve never been a great fan of the manicures. Manicures never look as good as I’d like, and perhaps because of my neck, health problems are not super comfortable. 

Today I experimented with some over-the-counter products. I did some cuticle care with Sally Hansen items that seemed to work well. I have no financial disclosures here; I just bought stuff that looked like it would work from my local CVS. I found some imPRESS press-on nails that were fun, quick, and cute. Even if they do not last more than a day, I like them. It’s an inexpensive amusement. 

The thumbnail was challenging as my nail seemed a bit flat for the product, and the press-on slightly cracked at the base when I attached it. I found some nail decals and clear nail varnish and fixed that up. I’m sitting here, admiring my creativity. The other advantage of this creative approach was to have something to do with my hands as I watched an online educational video. 

I had no idea it would be so easy to do the process, nor that the results would look so good. I’ve learned that they may last two weeks and that cuticle oil will help remove them. I also found some info on the internet that suggested using body adhesive, the product used by models and celebrities to keep garments in place, is a good option for less long-lasting adhesion. That sounds perfect for a party when you might want your nails to coordinate with an outfit.

It’s never too late to learn something fun!

No comments:

My continuing dating saga

 This morning, I criticized a supposed professional for lousy spelling when replying to a brief text message on a dating site. If grammatica...