Art is not just for the artist! My guest today, Jen Cushman, is an artist, a crafter, and a teacher who embraces that mentality wholeheartedly. Jen works best in multimedia. Any time she tries to stick to one medium, it never ends up well! From scrapbooking to mixed media collage to jewelry and so much more, Jen wants us all to push outside of our comfort zones and try something new and spectacular.
Today, Jen is going to share her amazing journeys in creativity. Along the way, she will share some of her brightest inspirations, favorite ways to create, and what it is like to develop a product. We will also get an inside look into her Deconstructed Reconstructed Retreats, which are fabulous and invaluable for someone interested in mixed media. Jen will also share with us why she loves working with power tools and blowtorches, and how jewelry making was opened up to her once she learned those skills.
Above all else, Jen makes art for anyone to enjoy that is also accessible to anyone. Because she loves teaching classes and writing books, Jen is ensuring that someone who might not consider themselves an artist in the strictest sense can still create something wonderful. Creativity is for everyone, and Jen and I are so excited to celebrate that with you today!
More in this episode:
- Jen shares all of her current projects and passions.
- Jen travels around the world to teach others how to do mixed media art.
- Teaching women how to use power tools was an accidental but powerful movement for Jen.
- Why Jen started crafting and expressing her creativity.
- Jen actually got her start in journalism!
- How Jen got kicked out of a Creative Memories crop but then got into teaching scrapbooking.
- The creative process involved with developing a project to sell.
- What it’s like to teach and develop a class.
- Advice for choosing a retreat.
- Why Jen is hosting her next retreat at home.
- Jen’s best thoughts on creativity.
Making Metal Jewelry
American Woman’s Hospital Service
Check out this episode!