Friday, January 27, 2017

Science Nerds, Sustainability Learning and other things





 I've had a busy week with my niece visiting from Canada. She and I are both science nerds. We went to see Bill Nye at SF Sketchfest and also saw the duo from Stuff You Should Know. The CA Academy of Sciences was also on the agenda. Two planetarium shows, of course. One was Habitat Earth. I thought it was a good portrayal of the interdependency of life. If you have kids and want to talk about sustainability with them, it is a good way to introduce the topic. Plus, there is all that other cool stuff in the building!
Speaking of sustainability I've got a few conferences I'm planning on attending. One is Women at the Center: Linking Population, Health and Environment For a Healthy World by the SF Dept of the Environment. Another is SF Sustainability Unconference, which is tailored in discussion to the attendees. I learned about EcoDistricts Foundation Course: Building Sustainable, Equitable, Resilient Cities from the Neighborhood, Up and wondered if it was just for architects and designers; so, I e-mailed for info. Sounds like it will be useful for folk like me, too. Then next month I plan to attend GreenBiz 2017 in Phoenix. It's a good start to understanding that part of the word sustain that I have chosen for this year's One Little Word.
Otherwise, I'm busy with art history, podcasting and art. I cannot forget the American Medical Women's Association and the British Medical Women's Federation meetings, too. Looking forward to those. This may be a summer I will dedicate to relaxing and lounging by my pool. I'll need the rest!

No comments:

My continuing dating saga

 This morning, I criticized a supposed professional for lousy spelling when replying to a brief text message on a dating site. If grammatica...