Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Blah not Blog?

 Yes, I'm still around. My husband suggested the title of the page when I complained that I wasn't getting any blog posting done.
You see, we took a trip to NYC. Now I'm recovering from that. I went to an American Medical Women's Association meeting that was fantastic! Great speakers and nicely paced.
Got there a day early because I do not do jet lag well and stayed a bit to take in some of the sites. We were there over St. Patrick's Day and staying at the Palace Hotel (facing the rear of St. Patrick's Cathedral). Since the parade goes by the front of the cathedral on 5th Ave, you know we went.


I was reluctant to miss much of the meeting so only stayed a bit. Cal watched a while, went for lunch and then returned to the parade. It goes on for about 6 hours and is watched by 2 million people. So many people celebrating Irish America, it's astonishingly wonderful.  Apparently, the largest parade in the world. It was just great! I am a parade-aholic. I even go sit and watch the Arden-Arcade Fulton Ave. Fourth of July parade. That is a short and pretty boring, uneventful, and sparsely attended parade but I watch it anyways. I keep hoping for more decorated bicycles and maybe a band and a float or two at the Fulton Ave. parade. Maybe this year. 

"How was NYC?", you may be asking. Fabulous. Taxis are so wonderful. I really have trouble walking and even with taxis I did too much walking, a reason I'm still recovering. Nonetheless, the taxis got us around and  museums have wheel chairs when you cannot walk more so it was OK. Restaurants, the theater and Harbor Cruises are sit down events with reasonable get up and move breaks, too. So, not impossible. We ate at Fig and Olive, Morsoand in little Italy at one of the neighborhood's oldest restaurants, Grotta Azzura.Breakfasts were often at Toasties by the hotel - though I went to Starbucks by the hotel side entrance for coffee. We caught bites at various spots like corner or museum cafes. I only had the conference food and one room service dessert at the hotel. It just looked too pricey!
Great hotel though and a perfect location. Did the city tour seeing all the highlights and went to the play Ann, a one woman show about Ann Richards at Lincoln Center and saw Jersey Boys, on another night, too. 

The Cooper-Hewitt is closed until next year which almost made me cry. Guess I'll have to go back! We did get to The Museum of Natural History, The Metropolitan Museum of Art and The Museum of the Native American. Naturally, we visited the 9/11 Memorial.Of course there was a lot more.
















 A fun special event for us was the Orchid Show at the New York Botanical Gardens. I loved it and Cal found it interesting even if there were only a few citrus and bananas (he's mainly into edibles). The orchids were so varied and beautiful and the conservatory so lovely that I think anyone would have like the show.

Now I've got to scrapbook all of those memories, LOL! . Maybe not all, just a few. You know we have a LOT more photos
Great to be home. Love the gorgeous sping weather - it's COLD in NYC!

2 comments:

Tona said...

It looks/sounds like you had a wonderful time!

Gail said...

Great pictures, thanks for sharing!

My continuing dating saga

 This morning, I criticized a supposed professional for lousy spelling when replying to a brief text message on a dating site. If grammatica...