Saturday, April 8, 2017

Learning Things: Grammar, Words, Crafts, Biomimicry


Do you use Grammarly or have you thought about a grammar checking program? I have used  Grammarly for about eighteen months and am delighted that it now works in applications like Blogger and Facebook without the need to copy and paste to check my writing. I like the weekly stats I get with the app. Grammarly lets you know your standard errors and compares your vocabulary to other users.
I love words. You may notice that I post Visual Thesaurus updates to the blog. I like that site because of the interesting stories about words, the pronunciation guide and the word maps that can help when Grammarly notes redundancy. It's especially useful when you need a carefully nuanced substitute.
I can follow up on my last blog post and report a successful paint night and an excellent white coat project. I never did finish my personal white coat project. My Wishblade failed, so I bought a new Cricut Explore Air 2, only to discover that it was challenging to use. My laptop solid state drive is full, and while I copied files to an external drive, I'm nervous about what files I can safely delete. Loading new stuff is impossible until then, So, when I have a chance I'll try to hook the machine up to my Mac and see what progress I can make in cutting my paper lace.
I do love crafting and am looking forward to today when I will spend the day in Dixon at It's All About the Scrapbook enjoying a class with friends. A chance to Cre8time. I think, May Flaum, the teacher, and a friend is a force behind my deep dive into crafts and art. My natural love of learning is a factor, too.


Speaking of learning new things, while at GreenBiz in February I was introduced to the field of biomimicry. It's very fascinating, looking to how nature solves problems and seeing if we can apply those solutions to our challenges in the design of structures, buildings, and processes. I'm taking a class right now from  Minneapolis College of Art and Design called Biomimicry: A Sustainable Design Methodology
It's a free on-line course which is an introduction to the master's program offered at the school.
As much as I love learning, I'm not sure I'm ready for yet another degree, though this is a field that is
very intriguing. The badge from the class is a sufficient goal for now. I think I will explore this subject more on the podcast. I'd love for you to join me at A Creative Approach Podcast and listen to all my exciting guests. (Links to an external site.)

No comments:

My continuing dating saga

 This morning, I criticized a supposed professional for lousy spelling when replying to a brief text message on a dating site. If grammatica...