Sunday, May 17, 2020

Slow kitchen progress after 6 months



 Northeast view of Kitchen on left, Southeast view of Kitchen on right
 West/Southwest view of the Kitchen







West view Dining room on left, west view of TV room below


I've not done a follow up on the kitchen remodel until now. It is the most hellish process. I think I'd hoped to be finished at the end of 2019. Nope!

We had errors in our cabinet delivery that postponed installation. Then, I forgot to report a mistake in that order and needed to put in a late correction. Home Depot initially ordered in the wrong color, and I did not catch it until late in February.

Co-Vid 19 has delayed that delivery. For now, our contractor is working around that, but first, we needed to be sure the work was done safely with little viral danger for us. The contractor has had to scale back his business because of the virus. Smaller crews mean more delays.
We have 95% of the cupboards installed. The over-the-fridge cabinet from Thomasville () is now 4 weeks delayed from the promised delivery time. Likely the virus is a factor in that.

The quartz countertops and apron front sink are in and look gorgeous.

We do have our beautiful new windows installed, and the roof where the once contentious window lights were installed is now fixed. We did not have a soffit in that room, and the contractor has convinced me it is better to have one to keep the walls consistent in adjoining rooms. I just hate that "1980's" look. But, we cannot remove the soffits in the dining room and breakfast area because of structural and ducting issues. I'm sure I'll learn to live with it. I suppose if I hate it enough, we can take it out and redo that drywall.

Repairs to the walls and ceiling have been made, and I believe the next step is painting.

I'm so anxious to see the dining room chandelier and the kitchen pendant light hung and the cork floors in.

I've made disastrous design decisions in the past; while so far is so good, I'm biting my nails hoping I've made wise choices this time.

All kinds of white kitchens are featured on T.V. and in print. I know that white would not suit the style of this home. Still, I worry that it may look too dark, though we have lots of ceiling cans, undercabinet lighting, and I'm getting a quote on drawer lighting. Having two-toned cabinets may date this kitchen down the road, but I love the colors so much. So lovely to see how the veining in the countertop works with both colors.

While it is a mystery as to when this will all be done, I'm hoping I'll have photos of the finished product by summer.

P.S. We need to have repairs and painting done on the exterior of the home. I hired a designer to pick colors. That decision just proved too stressful. All I know is that it has to be another color than it is now.


🐞

1 comment:

Gail said...

It is looking fantastic!

My continuing dating saga

 This morning, I criticized a supposed professional for lousy spelling when replying to a brief text message on a dating site. If grammatica...